Welcome! It's wonderful to see you here!

I'm a passionate writer - and therefore spend most of my time writing thriller novels. But I also live an interesting life in the nations. This blog is here for that aspect of my life - our life - I live with my wonderful wife and two daughters.

I believe in encouragement. I live for obedience. I believe in learning from our experiences, and this blog exists for both of those, and more.

So that you stay connected, getting every new update, please add your email address to receive all updates directly, or follow the RSS feed.

I was part of the leadership team in St Petersburg, Russia - which planted Hope Church in 2009.(www.hopechurchstpetersburg.com).
In March 2012 Hope Church sent my family to plant into Tallinn, the Capital of Estonia. I therefore lead this small but growing church plant team. Here is the website for Hope Tallinn (www.hopetallinn.ee)

For details on our journey here, read the series called Adventures of Faith which is linked for you on the right hand column, just below. That details our original journey to Russia and then onto Tallinn 4 years later.

Author for fiction novels - Cherry Picking (2012), The Last Prophet (2015), The Tablet (2015) and The Shadow Man (2016) are available on all major bookselling sites. Please visit: www.timheathbooks.com

Some want to help in practical ways:



Monday, March 19, 2012

BNG - 12

My mum is with us at the moment, which is allowing us to do some site seeing (or revisiting the places we know already!). But that doesn't stop with the meeting of new people!
Having taken the bus to the airport on Saturday night to meet my mum, not ten minutes after meeting her and waiting for the return bus did I meet a lady, who'd been on the same flight, and started talking - she was from Tallinn but had lived in the UK for 6 years - and I was the one saying how sunny it had been here! Because, since writing here that we'd had 14 out of 15 blue sky days since arriving, we've now had 3 grey days and this morning it was full on snowing! I didn't speak for long with this lady, because as I pointed out to her at the time, I'd not really spoken to my mum by that point so had better sort that one out!
At church on Sunday, we were also asked for our details by an American/Estonian family - the wife is from here originally but they all live in the US now. He was asking me all about church planting and it was helpful for me to get things clear as I was explaining what it was - all he'd seen in the past was when one big church sends out hundreds to make two good sized churches, which is also another form of church planting, but different to what we are doing here!
And being Mothering Sunday in the UK yesterday, we went out for some food at one of our favorite places (can we say that after three weeks??) And just sitting down, our girls starting to play with the Lego there, we heard English being spoken and it was Rachel (who went out of her way to hang Anya's coat up on the pegs so that she would pass these people!) who made contact. He is Canadian (Rodney), and she is Estonian (Kia), though they've lived in Tallinn for many years, and have children a similar age to ours. They were very local to that restaurant, actually living in a house (not a flat!) nearby. Details were exchanged (we are starting to make sure we get emails so that we can be in contact) and they seemed really open to further contact.
During the snow this morning, I went to pick up my ID card (pictured above), which I did without any problems, so now am fully registered to live and work in Estonia! Praise God for His wonderful hand on us in this process! Rachel picked her's up later on today as well (I had intended on getting both, but you have to sign for them individually, so that meant I couldn't). We are still trying to work out all the ways we can use them, but I know I can travel in Europe just with this card (no need for my passport). And I think you can do banking with it and pay for travel around the city.....So the photo is to mark a significant day for us!
There are also two photos below taken from our front window - one showing the view into New Tallinn city centre (as opposed to the Old Town, where we went today) and the other a close up of the road sign, reminding us how close these other Capital cities are.
And on the tourist front, Tallinn really is a lovely city to look around - small enough to quite easily navigate and old enough to turn up plenty of surprises. We went to 'Olde Hansa' today, which is a medieval restaurant in the Old Town, dating from the 15th century, I think. It's all 15th century food and costume - on the menu are things like Bear, Wild Bear and Elk! We went for the slightly less wild Mushroom soup, which is very creamy and very good!
And that's the great thing of planting in a historic city like Tallinn - you get to do both worlds, and every time a visitor arrives, we get to show them around!



No comments: